Hi all, hope you’ve been enjoying reading our blog. In our previous article, we talked about how to start a travel blog in 10 minutes. Following along the same line, today we’ll look at how to start a fashion blog with this step-by-step guide.
So let’s dive in!
Fashion blogging is huge. Really, really huge.
With the growing dependence on online means and the increasing popularity of social media, fashion blogging has joined the runway.
One of the most beautiful things about fashion blogging is that almost everyone has the ability to create a fashion blog. They can also nurture this fashion blog into a career and still keep it individualized to their own personal style.
If you are wondering how to start a fashion blog, keep reading.
There are fashion bloggers all over the world, each posting individual and unique content. But before you begin, you need to understand that blogging is hard work.
Starting any type of blog takes endurance and perseverance, but starting a fashion blog may be an even harder challenge because this niche is already so cramped and crowded, you may have trouble finding room to breathe.
Blogging is competitive, with many doing their best to break into the market. The good news, however, is that the vast majority of these blogs are bad. Really bad!
This means you have an opportunity to create something truly awesome and unique, but it will take courage and perseverance. To make your fashion blog work, you must be different. You must be smart about how you approach your content and design.
If you are willing to work hard, then keep reading.
As you begin your fashion blog, there are some basic steps you must complete. This how to start a fashion blog will guide you on each of these steps, thus helping you create your own fashion blog.
#2. Set up Your Blog
Hosting services also allow you to download WordPress, the best blogging tool on the Internet. WordPress is a content management system that was originally designed for bloggers.
It is easy-to-use and you do not have to know HTML or CSS to get started. You can download a theme, either free or paid and then set up your fashion blog and get started.
WordPress has some nice free themes which are fine to begin, but as you gain more experience, you may want to shift to a premium, paid theme.
The good thing about WordPress is even if you change themes, your content remains which means you do not have to redo much. You may have to tweak sizes or fonts to work with the new theme, but no major transfers or updating of content.
A word of caution about working with WordPress. Once your blog is up and running, you may be very tempted to play around with the millions of WordPress plugins and various WordPress themes. You may want to change colours, fonts, and templates which can distract you from producing any content.
Once you get your site up and running, keep it simple to start with. Choose a basic free theme and set up your colour scheme. Then focus in and get your mind in the create mode or your blog may never see the light of day.
#4. Do Not Be Afraid To Take Risks
One thing you must understand while starting a fashion blog is how to risk it all. Writing content is a very personal endeavour and you must be prepared to step off the ledge. Write about the things that matter to you. Do not just parrot what others are saying. Provide your own spin and make it yours. Truthfully, this is probably the hardest part of blogging.
- Now, Start Writing. Your goal must be to publish the absolute best content you can. This is what differentiates the great bloggers from the average. Publishing great content can make up for a myriad of sins. Even if you chose a lame domain name or decided to go with a free host, you can still make your blog a success.
- Consider your goals for your fashion blog. Is it about teaching teens how to dress for themselves and determine their best style? Your advice could make someone feel great about themselves and stand up to those school bullies. This is huge and your readers will remember.
- Fashion bloggers can write about anything fashion-related. There are unlimited possibilities when writing for a fashion blog. You could post pictures of your daily outfits and add a short blurb about where you purchased a certain bag or pair of shoes. You can write about a great sale you found and what you bought. You can write about a dress you covet or an article on the Spring runway shows.
Publishing great content is not so much about how it looks as what it is telling your reader. Great content will change someone’s life. Yes, this might sound dramatic, but it is true.
You may prefer to create style guides where you help your readers determine if a particular trend will work for them or give advice on what type of outfit to wear to a certain event, such as a wedding or travelling. You may want to write about your favourite designer and their vision for the next season.
Any of these will provide great content for a fashion blog post, but you may come up with a different angle or approach and make it your own. That is how you get noticed and build a following of loyal readers.
The best content provides solutions to problems your readers are facing. Deciding what to write will take time. You will need to do research to discover issues that need to be addressed. Spend time coming up with helpful and best content ideas and it will pay off.
#6. Build Your Network
Good content is extremely important, but if no one sees it, your blog will never get off the ground. Building a strong network of readers and peers is what will make your blog famous.
- Track other fashion bloggers. Build a Google+ profile and grab a Twitter handle and start following the best of the fashion bloggers. Do your research and discover who are the best and learn what they do.
- Make contact with these bloggers. Start slowly and read their content. Comment on their posts and try to make friends with them.
- Share their content. Let them know you would like to share their content on your blog. Offer to give them a mention and try and build a relationship through email or IM.
- Visit forums and social media and start discussions. Whenever and wherever you can, try and start discussions. You can make some great friends and build strong relationships by proving pertinent comments on social media and the forums. Also, here are some great techniques to promote your blog on Facebook.
There are other ways to network online, but these are a good place to start. As you gain experience, you will develop your own strategies for keeping in touch with your fashion blog peers and building great relationships.
There are some great fashion blogs where you can get ideas and make contact with the bloggers. Visit these sites and see what they are doing and saying. Take the time to read their content and the comments made by their readers. This is valuable information as you create your own fashion blog and build your readership.